Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dell "service"

As I mentioned here a while back, my laptop died the last week I was in Japan. I just sent it off to service and received it back less than a week later. Nice turnaround.

It seems that there were three problems. A fan was not working, a heat sink was defective, and the hard drive is dead. And probably the first led to the second led to the third, but whatever.

Instead of a functioning computer, I get a letter stating that the fan and heat sink were fixed, but they did not have any hard drives in stock and would be shipping it to me separately. At which point I should install it myself.

The problem, as I'm sure you see, is that I don't have the first damned idea how to remove/install a hard drive from a laptop.

And since they shipped it back so quickly, I'm guessing that the hard drive that is "on order" is not going to be arriving at my place any time soon.

Thanks for next-to-nothing, Dell. Apparently Michael Dell's recent reclamation of the CEO spot hasn't led to any meaningful improvement in their customer service, though this was one of the stated reasons for his return.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger -tvu said...

Although these instructions (www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_1.htm)are not specific to your Dell laptop, it does cover all the basic steps to replacing a laptop's HD. If you still can't do it, then ship it to me and I can replace it for you. I charge a six pack of diet pepsi or diet coke. Seriously...that's my rates for friends and family. But if you get the big fat job postMBA, then I charge a higher rate.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Jeff D said...

Thanks for the offer, but the IT guy at my wife's work said he'd do it for a similar fee (lunch.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home