Monday, November 06, 2006

Stares...

Matt and I were walking back to the dorm from the train station on Sunday evening at roughly the time the Waseda-Sai was ending.

As we walked up the street a string of Japanese girls walked by us who were obviously either in a band or some sort of cheerleading group as they all wore similar jackets and pants.

After they passed Matt mentioned that every single one of them had stared at me for a second or two. At this point in my stay, I did not even notice as it tends to happen a lot. I don't think it has much to do with simply being Amerika-jin, but more with the fact that I'm almost a full foot taller than most of them.

I just found it funny that he noticed and that I didn't. It is funny what you get used to. Sticking out here, for me, is just part of every day life.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Reese said...

Maybe they are scared of such a big gaijin! You are like Godzilla to them.

I'm quite tall compared to Filipinas and when I went home I got stared at ALL THE TIME. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm super American looking too.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jeff D said...

Yes, in Japan I am quite distinct. When I get on the subway I am almost always the biggest person on the car, and usually by several inches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home