Saturday, September 30, 2006

Things are starting to move now...

I took (and finished) one of my classes, which was a three day long management simulation. It was very interesting and I learned a lot about business and also about the very different styles of management that exist worldwide. When I realized that my American focus on making money for our shareholders was considered completely unimportant by our Japanese group member, it really threw me for a loop.

I've been listening to more music than I normally do. As you know from an earlier post, Bruce has been prominent in the mix. As usual I have also been listening to a lot of Weezer. Rivers Cuomo, their lead singer, was known for dating only Asian women before he found and married a Japanese woman. A lot of their songs reflect his obsession, most notably El Scorcho which leads off:

God-damn you half-Japanese girls, you do it to me every time.

Spending some time in Japan, it's not hard to see his point. The women here are very attractive, very petite, very thin. The only weak spot I've seen so far is the apparant British disregard for dental hygiene which pops up from time to time. I find it very strange that in Japan, a place where they have worked out the details of everything, someone forgot to flourinate the water.

So at least there are pretty women to look. Which is nice.

4 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"God-damn you half-Japanese girls, you do it to me every time."

The red-head says you shred the cello, and I'm jello baby.


Great Weezer song... one of my favorites. And I think Rivers is on to something with his dating habits... Japanese women are beautiful, but with a little bit of Westernization, they can be amazing looking. Guess I'm still a bit partial to Western girls.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Jeff D said...

The pattern runs fairly deep for Rivers. In Buddy Holly you have your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit and the video for Dope Nose centers around a female Japanese bike gang.

A friend of mine was talking about the differences in approaching Western and Asian women. I told him to make very certain he wasn't including Japanese girls in with Asian, because they are not the same. Our Korean friend agreed that Japanese women were much more casual about sex/dating than the rest of Asia.

Besides, I think most of the young women in Tokyo moved here, so there isn't anyone around from their family to take issue with what they do (or don't do.)

In any case, the eye candy is quite nice here. As I often say to Pam, "I'm married, I'm not dead."

Given our choices of wifes, it is clearly apparant where our preferences lie!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Reese said...

I don't think it's so much lack of dental hygiene, but that Japanese people do not find unstraight teeth unattractive. You will often see girls in magazines with crooked teeth or snaggleteeth smiling coyly. I used to think it was ugly, but I've recently been more brainwashed by reading too many J-mags and now find it very cute. In fact, when I see japanese girls with crooked teeth, I think it's cute they are crooked.

ryc: How did you find my blog? Have you been reading before? I always wonder about people who write comments for seemingly the first time. Oh, and I would mail you the scarf if you won! I have no qualms about overseas shipping.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Doing Business in Japan? said...

Hi Jeff,

I like your blog. Interesting reading!

Readers of your blog may also be interested to check out the following blog too, which refers to staff training procedures for those travelling to Japan on business trips for the first time:

Doing business in Japan?

http://doing-business-in-japan.blogspot.com


Cross Culture Training Japan

http://www.crossculturetraining.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home