Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Summer plans

Well I got my final grades, I ended my first year with a 3.5 GPA. Not as high as I hoped, but considering the very heavy workload I imposed on myself this spring I'm pretty happy with it. I'm also far ahead of the curve in terms of credits. I've completed 11 of the 16 credits we require to graduate, so next fall I can focus on enjoying Japan and laying the groundwork for my job search, and next spring I can focus on finding the "perfect" job.

I've also been doing some more research on the pre-Japan trip. We are trying to figure out exactly what our timeline will be so we don't spend too much time floating down the Mekong River. Right now my thought is that we cross the river in northern Thailand and follow it to Luang Prabang, which will probably take a day or two. From there we might just fly down to Vientiane so we can spend more time sightseeing. Our next stop after that would likely be Angkor Wat in Cambodia. From there we can boat down to Phnom Penh and then fly to Saigon or Hanoi and spend the final week or so of our free time in Vietnam. Preferably on the beach somewhere.

I have several interviews pending for a summer internship and that is truly my main focus at the moment. Once that is taken care of one more very large load of stress will be lifted from my shoulders.

Now I'm off to start preparing some turkey meatloaf for dinner. This is done at my wife's request. Of course I have slightly modified the recipe, I'll bold the things I've changed.

TURKEY MEATLOAF RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lb ground turkey

2 TBSP butter or vegetable oil (olive oil)

1 cup onion (shallots) finely chopped

1 cup mushrooms,thinly sliced (optional, nice change, canned OK, 1 small can)

(I'm using dried shitakes here after rehydrating them and chopping them up finely)

1/4 cup chicken broth or water

3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (seasoned breadcrumbs)

1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

1 TBSP tomato paste

1 1/2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce

3/4 tsp Salt (less salt,I'm trying to cut down)

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1/2 tsp oregano or thyme

1 egg

1/2 cup Ketchup, optional (Heinz Chili Sauce kicked up with some cayenne for a little zing)


PREHEAT oven to 350 deg. F.
LIGHTLY grease a pan or glass baking dish.
IN a skillet heat butter or oil.
ADD chopped onions and sliced mushrooms.
SAUTÉ over medium low heat till soft, stirring occasionally about 10 min.
MEANWHILE combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
FORM meat mixture into a 5X8 inch loaf and place into pan or on sheet.
SPREAD ketchup over top of loaf.
COVER lightly with tin foil.

BAKE for 30 minutes.

REDUCE oven to 325 deg. F. , UNCOVER and bake for a further 25 - 30 minutes.

Seems pretty easy, I'll let you know!

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger k said...

Hi Jeff,

For the best beach in Vietnam, go to Mui Ne (or Mui Nie). It's 4h North from Saigon and it has the most beautiful beaches.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Jeff D said...

Karibu,

Thanks a bunch. I'm not sure if we will hit Mui Nie on our trip, but my wife is coming to visit the last two weeks we are there. I think we are going to spend a week in Japan and a week somewhere on the beach. Mui Ne sounds like as good a place as any.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home