Friday, May 19, 2006

Llamas and wild turkeys

These are things you might not expect to see in an urban area like Boston. I certainly never expect to see them.

Yet see them I did, and luckily I have the photos to prove it.

My wife works on the Newton/Needham line. This is inside of I-95 and probably one of the more densely populated areas of the United States. However, in this particular office park there is plenty of wooded area and open space, and apparently some wild turkeys have made it their home. Pam had mentioned this to me, so I brought my camera with me while dropping her off at work.

Apparently the toms (the male birds) see their own reflection in the windows of her office building and can't tell it's another bird, so they get all fired up and start flaring their feathers and fun stuff like that. Here he is:Later in the day I decided to visit Gore Place, a preserved Federal-era mansion about a half a mile from my house. They were having a plant sale and were offering many heirloom tomatoes and other vegetables and herbs. I picked up some tomatoes, pineapple sage and thyme and noticed that they had some sheep grazing in the field. I wandered up to take some pictures of the field and spotted the llama on the far side. He might be an alpaca, I'm not sure. But either
way here he is:
And here is a picture of the mansion:

I have taken to carrying the new camera around with me so I can get used to using it and learning how to control it. I really have no idea about shutter speeds, aperture control and that sort of thing, so experimenting (after reading up on some things) is the best way to go.


I'll see what kind of critters I can add to my list tomorrow. I saw a dead possum on the road but decided live possum would be more appealing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home