Friday, May 05, 2006

The camera...and other stuff

I realize that I mentioned that the new camera was on the way but never mentioned what it was.

I decided to go with the Panasonic Lumix FZ30 after talking to some friends and doing a lot of reading on the net. The Kodak was eliminated mainly on the basis of some very iffy reviews about the quality of the camera and some apparent fears that Kodak may have rushed it to market.

The FZ30 is a great camera. 8MP, 12x optical zoom, image stabilization (optical, not digital.) It takes SD cards (which as mentioned before is a prerequisite for me) and pictures can be taken in JPEG, TIFF, or RAW format (though apparently Adobe still needs to update Photoshop CS to handle the RAW files from the FZ30.) And I still need to learn how to use Photoshop.

I also ended up getting an long-life battery and some lens covers. My best man, Luis, said that both items are essential. The lens covers both protect the lens and cut down on various types of glare that can cause issues with pictures. Once I get them I'll try to take some with/without test shots to see if we can clearly see the difference.

Now the plan is to look for some books and classes on how to take good pictures and make full use of the camera. It is something I've always wanted to do, and now is as good a time as any.

I probably spent a little more money than I intended, but I'm going to begin working in Admissions again until I find a summer internship so that will help make up the difference. Much thanks to Holly on that. She has been very understanding of my workload this semester and I look forward to doing whatever I can to help out this summer and in Tokyo during the MBA Fair there. Hopefully my Japanese will be good enough by that time to really make a difference in the impression Brandeis makes on the potential MBAs.

I applied today for an internship with the Asian Development Bank in Manila. One of the friends I've made this semester has definitely made me take a look at some of the things I could be doing this summer and expanded my views. Working at ADB would be an opportunity to really do something meaningful this summer that could potentially affect the lives of millions of people for the better. The position I applied for involves researching the current and potential uses of biodiesel in both the Philippines and Indonesia and offering suggestions for easing its entry into those markets.

And as a side benefit I'd get to be in Manila in the summer. (yes, that's sarcasm.)

1 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Blogger Anthony Wayne Thompson said...

Good luck in Japan, Jeff. I've only visited for a day or so but I liked it a lot. Let me know when you're in Seoul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home